Friday, April 1, 2016

Practice.


2nd Timothy 2.2

“and what you have heard from me
in the presence of many witnesses
entrust to faithful men
who will be able to teach others also.”


In order to teach others one has to be teachable. I'd like to say I am a teachable person, but I doubt that would be a very accurate assessment. I tend to gather up all this knowledge but then I make excuses for why I can't walk out what I've learned. The truth is, though I'm great at learning I'm not the best at submitting to those I have learned from. I'm not exactly teachable. Do I have the ability and capacity to walk out what I've learned? Yes. Actually I have found that there are some things I grasp very quickly and naturally. However many times I'll let my mentality hold me back.


For example I learn physical things rather quickly, Flips and head stands I do pretty well at learning the general idea, I can feel movements through my body just watching someone else do a flip that I have never done. Even so, I have a major problem doing a flip. Why? Fear.


I am of course afraid I will wreck myself. My body tightens at the thought and then I am twice as likely to become a self fulfilling prophecy. In my spiritual life I do the exact same thing, God reveals something awesome to me and then I get all excited. However when He asks me to walk it out I recoil, I say “but God if I do that what if A, B, or C happens.” I am so afraid of getting wrecked emotionally, no not even that, worse than that. I'm worried what others will think of me, I'm worried my pride will get wrecked. I am afraid of failure and rejection. However when I am afraid of failing and never try I fail by default.

So.

I'll admit I am not as teachable as I want to be. And of course it's a pretty bad policy not to practice what you preach. I learned years ago that if you want to lead you have to lead by example. Communication is more through physical and vocal cues than it is words. People are going to learn by what they see you do, not by what you say.


So how can I become more teachable? How can I be that faithful man. As always pray, first to confess my sin of always making excuses, and to ask for strength to walk out what I have learned, and to be more mold-able. And last of all just try it, just do it.


Application
confess, and ask for strength to walk out what God is asking me to do.


How?
I have been given a tool and task this week by someone that I have not really practiced, today I will make time to use what they have given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment