Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Abide, Abide, Abide... ?

1 John 4:10
“In this is love,
not that we have loved God
but that He loved us
and sent His Son
to be the propitiation for our sins.”

I could get into a really detailed and well written sermon about this. However IBS is not a sermon, For a sermon is for the one reading or the one listening. However IBS is for the writer, it is something that should be as intimate as prayer, and has been a way for me to walk in the light with my brothers and sisters in Christ. To grow. So I am going to share what has been on my mind lately. I have asked God to speak to me through this time as much as when I worship or read His word or pray.

I had been rereading 1st John over and over a week or two back. What I noticed most within it was the word abide. Within this short book the words abide, abides, and abiding in total show up about 23 times, that was just a quick glance over so I may have missed some. The book was written as a warning against false teachers. I don't like to abide very much, I don't like to sit still, because it seems like I'm getting nowhere. I see a mountain of things that need to be done, I don't want to abide and wait for God, I want to just do it, or not do it at all. I can often try to love in my own power. And for a little while it seems to work. However I quickly become tired, grumpy, irritable, and feeling incredibly depressed and defeated. I have felt this way almost daily while being here. I have done what I knew I was prone to do during field time. Push through in my own strength, took my eyes off Jesus and looked at all the relationships and needs of others around me. As John is writing this verse it is shortly after he admonished believers to “Love one another”, that whoever loves is “from God,” and has been “born of God.” He goes on to say the one who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this I find two truths, Firstly that God is love, secondly since the man who does not love does not know God, it is completely impossible for the natural man to Love without God. I know this is all basic stuff, still it has been on my mind. Now back the verse at hand.

“not that we have loved God” As a human I could not of myself have initiated contact with God, as it says “They all like sheep have gone astray.” I had no love to give because I was broken. Daily I have no love to give of my own because I am broken.

“but that He loved us” During my months of training we so often talked about the why. It's important to know why I'm doing something. I really need to, I get discouraged often, and I want to curl up in a corner and give up. I had honestly forgotten my why. Why I wanted to come down here was because I wanted to grow closer to God. However as I sit here and think on this, I realize that in reality as much as I wanted to be here for that reason, I came here because God drew me here. I didn't come here because I love God, even though I do love God. I was brought here because God loves me.

“and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”

He saved me from my sins in my youth, and He called me to follow Him. Now as I walk through my time in Guatemala He is saving me from trying to continue in the flesh, from forgetting what it's like to know Him. That's love, He has loved me in big ways and small ways. Our theme this month has been God seeking us, and He brought me all the way to Guatemala to do that. As I see that love poured into me I am too small a vessel to hold it all inside and it pours out. God is love, and “if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.” from John 4:11

Application.
Allow God to pour into me, instead of trying to love in my own strength.

How?

Tonight I will find some time to spend with God and reflect on His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment