Monday, September 19, 2016

The Women Who Loved Much.

Luke 7:36-50
“One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and reclined at table. And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.” And Jesus answering said to him,“Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he answered, “Say it, Teacher.”
“A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?”  Simon answered, “The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt.” And he said to him, “You have judged rightly.” Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Therefore
I tell you,
her sins,
which are many,
are forgiven—for she loved much.
But he who is forgiven little, loves little.”


And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?” And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
this is a long piece of scripture to try and IBS there is so much in it. The emphasis however is verse 47. and there I shall direct most of my attention, while keeping in mind the whole story.

I love this story, my heart is moved as I think of the love this women had for Jesus. She came with a heart to serve and bless Jesus. I do not by any means think she came with the intent to do a good work and earn His favor. I think she came already knowing she had been forgiven. The parable Jesus told indicates what her heart had already been through. How did she know Jesus could or would forgive her? What had happened to her previously that day, week, month, year, or years to make her believe that she had been forgiven by this Jesus? What kind of sins had she committed? Here it only labels her sinner. The type of sin didn't matter. Even as with each of us the type of sin does not matter, the fact remains we are each a sinner.
Had she during her prayer time heard God speak to her heart saying that through His servant and son Jesus she would be forgiven. We don't know what led up to this outpouring of love events wise. However any of us who have experienced the forgiveness of God knows what transpired in her heart that day as she came to worship and give thanks to the new Lord of her life. How deep her love must have been to walk right into a room full of men who would gladly stone her. Who despised and looked down on her. How fierce her love must have been, she knew that in the midst of these scorners was the One Who loved her, and whom she loved deeply. It made her forgetful of what surrounded her, forgetful of the shame and set her free to love without restraint.

When we walk close to Jesus and love Him we will be surrounded by those who hate and look down on us, because of our past, or our association with Him.


What kind of love was it that drove her there? It was not her own. Here we see a truth displayed clearly.

The type of sin does not matter.

The amount of sin doesn't matter.

We all have a debt we are helpless and unable to pay.

We all have a Help to pay it.

Jesus is our Help.

Jesus has the power to forgive sins.

If we understand the depth of our sin even if we never did the “big sins” we would understand the Depth of His love.

If we understand the depth of His love we will not be able to resist coming closer to Him even if that means coming into a room of scoffers.

Even if it means coming into a place of being despised.

It means that no matter where Jesus is we will follow, because “Your steadfast love is better than life” Psalm 63:3. Because we cannot bear being away from Him.

Do you love like that? Jesus said “They shall know that you are my disciples by your love for one another.”
Last night I heard it said that the love of the LORD makes His bride fierce. Do we have a fierce unrelenting love? Do I have a fierce unrelenting love, that will drive me to places I know I will be despised by others? One that does not care because I need to be near my Savior, to show Him the love and gratitude I have for Him? One that says “my soul clings to you;”? Psalm 63:8. The answer is some days yes, and other days I forget that I am forgiven, forget that in His eyes I am no longer only a women a sinner. I am His “delight” Psalm 18:19

Application.
Live in an understanding of God's love for me.

How?

Today if I remember my past forgiven sins, I will not neglect to remember that God has forgiven me, by quoting aloud or in my heart Lamentations 3:21-23. If I keep struggling to let it go, I will ask a trusted friend for prayer and talk it out with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment