Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Godliness.


1st Timothy 4:8

“for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way,

as it holds promise for the present life

and also for the life to come.”


Yesterday we hiked Agua, it was 13 thousand feet at the top, and about a 17 mile walk. Bodily training certainly seemed of value on that hike. I stretched whenever we stopped and tried not to let myself sit. But I don't think that is what got me up the mountain. There was a lot of prayer on the way up and down that mountain, for safety of our group and for strength. Strength for myself. I was feeling pretty good most of the way up, but I didn't know when I would hit a wall. God walked me up that mountain, I kept having scripture after scripture come to mind, and song after song. I wasn't sure I understood discipline before hiking that mountain, but it seems a bit clearer now. I wanted to keep walking, I didn't want to give up. Why? Because I really wanted to make it to the top. That was the reward for me. Even though it was cloudy and rainy, I don't know why, but it was still worth it. And that was what I was praying for as I hiked that trail, God please let me make it to the top, Please let me have a fast enough pace to make it. I am so thankful I made it.

I want to be godly, my motivation is twofold. Because it benefits me in the here and now. To have a disciplined prayer and devotional life brings me closer to God. And as I grow closer to Him, I have more peace, hope, and joy to face every trial. I am transformed from the inside out, this benefits my friendships, my work life, and my family life. Because as I am right in my Vertical relationship with God I become right in my relationships with people. I will not say I fully understand what is going to happen in the judgment of the righteous. I do not think by any means that we must earn salvation by some outward appearance or work. However like I already said Belief in Christ transforms us from the inside out as the Holy Spirit comes into our hearts and works in and through us. The bible speaks of rewards. I like how I have heard it said before, God calls us to a work, then enables us to do it, and then rewards us for the work He enabled us to do. Like I said I do not understand it fully, but there will be rewards for us in heaven. But most of all what I look forward to is seeing my God face to face. To know even as I am known.

But what is godliness? Godliness is personified in the person of Jesus Christ seemingly. In 1st timothy 3:16 it says

“Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on by the world,
taken up in glory.”
This verse is definitely about Jesus.
So then to be godly is to be like Jesus.

To be honest I have been slowly falling apart, I have been getting behind on a lot of things and just not feeling or doing well. I am tired and worn out. I do not feel I have been very godly. Last night Chris announced that he wanted to start praying in the mornings at 6:15 am, for our time at home and for our countries, and country teams etc. I was incredibly encouraged by this because I have been a bit stressed about these things and having a group time to pray about them helps a lot. However in order to be a part of it I would have to wake up early. This ended up being the biggest blessing, I was able to have a longer quiet time. I want to be more disciplined in my quiet times, because the best way to become more like Jesus is being near to Him.

Application
Train in godliness.

How?
Be more disciplined in waking up early for prayer and devotions. I will wake up at 5 am each morning this week to get plenty of time with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment