Wednesday, March 23, 2016

I Do Not Run Aimlessly


1st Corinthians 9:24-27
“Do you not know
that in a race all the runners run,
but only one receives the prize?
So run that you may obtain it.

Every athlete exercises self control in all things.
They do it to receive a perishable wreath,
but we an imperishable.

So I do not run aimlessly;
I do not box as one beating the air.

But I discipline my body
and keep it under control.
Lest after preaching to others
I myself should be disqualified.”


This chapter began with Paul defending his apostleship. Moved into how he has laid down his rights and become all things to all men that by all means he may save some. And the verse just previous to this passage says this “I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in it's blessings.”


Therefore I can conclude that this passage is speaking to work of the ministry. Paul was running to obtain a prize. What is the prize, I think it is to hear well done thou good and faithful servant at the end of our days.

“So run that you may obtain it.” How are we to run? This scripture goes on to tell us, that an athlete exercises self control in all things. So with self control in all things is how we are to run.

In ministry there are a lot of things that may not be sin, but perhaps should be avoided and it takes great self control to do so. One that comes to mind is spending time alone with the opposite gender. Even if you are doing nothing wrong, and are not tempted in any way by this. It opens the door to speculations. Then there are things that are sins that seem more minor, like, “white lies” or gossip. Lies are walking in darkness rather than light. And gossip is, though considered minor, one of the most destructive sins. It literally tears apart the church. These are all things to exercise self control in. Self control of itself is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. So then by being disciplined in spending time in prayer, the word, and worship, self control will be a natural result.


“I do not run aimlessly” If when running a race you leave the track you are going to be disqualified. When you run a race there is a very direct path to follow. God has a very direct path for my life. And I may not know the course of it in full, but in every race where you should and should not run is marked out clearly, usually by signs or officials pointing you the right way. God does the same, His general will is laid out clearly in His word. And His specific will is often shown us clearly step by step, sometimes through a sermon, or teaching, or friend or event.
“I do not box as one beating the air.”

I do not fight without a reason, I have an enemy, he seeks to devour and destroy me. And he seeks to destroy every one of my relationships. I must become skilled in knowing applying God's word in my life if I am to fight against him.
“But I discipline my body and keep it under control.”

If I lose control of my own body and fall, I will likely lose the race. This is I believe is referring to falling into sin.

“Lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”

And sadly there are many great men in ministry that have fallen into devastating sins, that wrecked their ministry. And unfortunately many times when this happens it can be hard, not impossible but hard for them to return to the same office in that ministry.

“They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.”

What is this imperishable wreath?

To be honest I am not sure what Paul is specifically speaking to. I will say for me what I want more than anything is to be in the center of God's will. And in revelation it says that the 24 elders in the throne room of God will have golden crowns to cast down at God's throne. Let me just say I don't know if we all get crowns and if we do, I know I don't deserve one. As I have read in a book, God calls us to a work, then enables us to do it, then rewards us for what He enabled us to do. However as my pastor says, “I want to have a crown so that I may cast it down at the throne of my God to worship Him.”

I know already that I have failed in so many ways. However, I also know that God has called me here. And that He is growing me, closer to Him and preparing me for the next six months of field time.



Application.
Run with intention and self control.



How?
I need God. Tonight I will find a quiet place to pray and worship God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment