Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Happy Servants.


Luke 12:37-40

“Blessed are those servants whom the master find awake when he comes.
Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them.
If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants!
But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into.
You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”




First off how amazing is the blessing for the servant who is faithfully watching and waiting for the master. Earlier this week we saw how a servant may work all day and be asked to serve their master dinner before being allowed to eat his own, and that this is by no means unfair. The awesome part is even though we are unworthy servants, and we have only done our duty, even though we may not be thanked by others around us, or at this time. Someday Jesus says there will be a time for rest. He will say well done thou good and faithful servant. The instruction is also very clear. Be awake. Stay awake, don't become distracted by the cares of this world. Don't look to the right or the left but straight ahead towards the goal. Don't fall asleep, don't get comfortable. And that's my tendency, that's what I'll do, that's what any natural man will do. I will let myself get comfortable in my sin. I'll let myself get comfortable with working for my comfort instead of to bless others. I have definitely made the mistake of sleeping on the job, it is hard not to. I get so physically drained and hit from every direction, family problems, temptations, friends walking away from Christ. I don't stop believing in God or anything like that, but I can curl up in a fetal position and admit defeat. I honestly feel it a lot, the temptation to go to sleep, physically even, when I feel overwhelmed. It is pretty easy for others to tell when I'm like this. Part of me doesn't want them to know, but I suck at hiding it and I am too tired to care, and I ignore them so they won't ask.

Then there is the other extreme, the times where I say no I'm going to fight, but it's still more than I can handle and I break.

There's is only one way to stay awake, realize it is too much to handle, and then realize you don't have to. Give it to God. If you are consumed with God's presence, you will not fall asleep, and you will be faithfully serving him.

You will be ready, and this comes with a warning. Be ready because you do not know when Jesus is coming back. After this text Peter asks if this parable is for everyone. Jesus confirms by telling another parable of a faithful and unfaithful manager. The faithful one is blessed. But the unfaithful thinking his master is delayed acts incredibly evilly. Beating the servants and drinking wine to get drunk. His end is to be cut to pieces and beaten.



Am I abusive to those around me? Not physically, not even verbally perhaps, but do I neglect to show them love and encourage them in their walk with Christ?

Do I drink, or come under the influence of substances? No I have never had strong drink or come under the influence of drugs in my life, but have I used the gifts and abilities God gave me for my own gain? To get what I want?

On a smaller scale this all comes back to me serving self over God, it comes down to not being aware that my master is coming soon. This is serious business. It's scary, and makes me want to run from God, ignore His voice so I'm not as responsible for my actions. Then I become dull, unable to hear or see, I fall asleep and am unconscious of God in a sense. Something I am learning is when I want to ignore my problems, when I want to run from God that's when I need to press into Him. It's the only escape. I need to serve Him, not self. Here I am repeating myself. Must mean it's time to end this IBS.



Application.
Press into God when you want to run.



How?
When I am struggling during morning devotions this week I will take time to pray and ask God what is going on in my heart, and ask for strength to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment