Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Servants Are To Forgive.


Matthew 20:26-28

“So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denari, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying 'pay what you owe.'”



I know this story well, but I never before thought of the servant aspect of it. If we are indeed God's servants we need to treat each other with the same grace that our master treats us with. I like that God uses parables, this concept would be harder to grasp without such a story.

I want to make sure I forgive with all my heart. That's a tough business sometimes. And my mom used to liken it to me this way, be ready to forgive others when they apologize to you. So I asked her what if my heart is not right at that time, how will I forgive them. She told me I'm God's child and God will like a Father taking His child on a trip does not give them the ticket until they need to hand it to the conductor of the train. I have heard a story of a women of faith, who met with the murderer of some of her family members. He asked her forgiveness, she tells that she stuck out her hand woodenly to shake his, and as he took hold she felt a rush of warmness flow through her whole body, And with a smile and total honesty she was able to say “I Forgive you brother, with my whole heart!”

She was obedient in action, and in that moment God met the need in her heart with His love for that man.



Forgiveness is an action as much as it is an attitude of the heart. It's choosing to say you don't owe me anything. It's choosing to see that person as God sees them. As we are obedient in that God meets us.



But sometimes you may never have someone ask forgiveness, why? They have no idea that they have in any way hurt you. This is where Matthew 18 comes into play, you need to talk out those things.

This is in fact where I struggle most. I will let things hide in the depths of my heart more often than not. I hate to bring up any sort of wrong. I hate to confront people even if it is with the truth. So I have a tendency to hide when I've been hurt and try to ignore it.

I beg you'd pray for me in this area of my life. Because I really need it.

I also have trouble distinguishing if I need to talk them or just let it go, as I tend to be overly sensitive.



All I know is I need to forgive others the way I've been forgiven. I need to not hold their debts over them, heaven help me if I do. As I look to the example of forgiveness I've been given, I cannot help but feel convicted, and encouraged to love others.



Application.

A servant must be able to work with others servants and must therefore put away any bitterness towards them by whatever means necessary.



How?

Tomorrow in my devotions I will ask God to reveal to me who I need to forgive, I will forgive them by saying aloud that I forgive them by name. Then I will seek if God wishes to have me do anything further.

No comments:

Post a Comment