Wednesday, February 17, 2016

An Attitude Of Faith And Obedience


Acts 5:29-32

“But Peter and the apostles answered,
'We must obey God rather than men.

The God of our fathers raised Jesus,
whom you killed by hanging Him on a tree.

God exalted Him
at His right hand
as Leader and Savior,
to give repentance
to Israel
and forgiveness of sins.

And we are
witnesses to these things,
and so is the Holy Spirit,
Whom God has given to those who obey Him.”



The scene is set, the apostles were locked up the night before, an angel came and freed them in the night. The soldiers and the sadducees were perplexed to find them gone since everything was locked up tight. The apostles and Peter were brought before them to be held on trial, but not by force, and why not by force? I would think they'd be enraged with jealousy, and would not care how the apostles were brought. However in verse 26 we find the answer. “For they were afraid of being stoned by the people.”


Here we see polar opposites. Over and over again, the pharisees and sadducees are known for two things at least the ones that did not follow Jesus (some of them ended up doing that like Paul.) They were known for being jealous of others, and fearful of man.


The apostles were known for loving others and fearing or obeying God rather than men.


Here we find a very important point in obeying God, if we don't have the right attitude toward Him, we will not obey Him. So what is the attitude of the apostles towards God in this verse? An attitude of Faith.


This attitude is indicated by their reply to the sadducees. First they express Faith in God's power over the physical realm in that God Raised Jesus from the dead. Next power in the spiritual realm because the Father exalted Him at His right hand. Next they express Faith in the Father's passing of authority to Jesus as Leader and Savior. Now we see them express faith in Jesus power to save, by the giving repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.


And now we come in our verse to the why behind their faith. “And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, Whom God has given to those who obey Him” First we see they believe because they are witnesses, they witnessed Jesus as the risen LORD, they witnessed Him ascend up into heaven, Steven saw Jesus standing at the right hand of God just before he was martyred. And also because the Holy Spirit bears witness about this. I am not sure what exactly this means, I think it could mean a few things. For one the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus when he was baptized by John. For another the Holy Spirit comes along side and convicts the hearts of people that they may come to repentance and belief on Jesus Christ, or perhaps they are referring to the supernatural abilities to heal to speak in other languages, to do signs and miracles displayed by those who by faith obeyed Christ and received the Holy Spirit. All would be a testimony to the fact that the Holy Spirit bears witness I think, again I'm just not sure.


“Whom He has given to those who obey him.”

Here is another attitude or knowing, I'm not sure how to put it, but another reason for their obedience and possibly the most important, that is if I understand right. A knowledge of The presence of God in their life. When we see God as present, and are aware of Him, it drastically changes how we view each situation and how we act in it. And God is present, He lives in each and every believer. He comes along side to convict the world, etc.


Now I have a question for each of us to answer, how have you witnessed the power of God in your own life? These are questions we must answer if indeed we are to obey Him.


God has shown me many times that He is outside time and my comprehension of it, that He coordinates all the event of the earth and universe, and that that through Jesus death and resurrection He is more than able to redeem me from my sins. To get back what has been lost in my foolishness and rebellion. To restore. Not only in my life but the lives of those around me.


How are we being more aware of His presence?

By making certain I have devotions in the morning has definitely helped. Keeping an attitude of worship certainly has helped, because it shifts my focus back to God and His presence and power. It is really a moment by moment choice, and it can be quite difficult with everything pulling for my attention. The verse “Pray without ceasing comes to mind.” Another way has simply been being surrounded by all of you. Each one of you witnesses to God's faithfulness and power, is an encouraging reminder of His presence. I am truly grateful for each one of you, and the ways you keep me accountable.


Application.

Have an attitude of faith in God, and be more aware of His presence, through this obedience comes naturally. There must be both to balance, for if I am aware of God's presence but not his power I will still be fearful of man to some extent. If I am aware of God's power but not His presence, then I shall fear man because I would not know God is beside me. I must be aware of both, to live in faith and obedience.


How? Tonight before bed I will pray with my room mates that God would make me more sensitive to His spirit, and aware of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment