Sunday, February 21, 2016

Honor


Ephesians 6:1

“Children, obey your parents in the LORD, for this is right.”

Colossians 3:20

“Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the LORD.”



To be honest I have been pretty obedient to my parents, I would often be the kid who said, “Guys we shouldn't do this we'll get in trouble.” Does that mean I was never disobedient to my parents of course not. I just tended to be a lot more sneaky about it. For instance I was home schooled, so I would often lie about having done my school work for the day. This was not good in many ways, and even though I know I am intelligent there's now a part of me that feels quite insecure because I am not as knowledgeable in many areas as other people. I can't help but think of Ephesians 6:2-3 “Honor your Father and Mother (This is the first commandment with promise) That it may go well with and that you live long in the land.”



“That it may go well with you.” Here's the thing about parents, they usually ask you to do something because they want you to have a good life. They care about you. Parents are a gift from God to help counsel and guide as you grow older, when you have a problem they are a listening ear. When you get hurt they bandage you up. When you rebel they discipline you, and yes this is a blessing too. “Spare the rod and spoil the child” is a quote I know well. In America we can really see the evidence of this quote. And again I say usually, usually parents care, and I know mine do, but I also know that there are parents lacking in natural affection. The abusers, who manipulate, and use. These are the exceptions. So let me quote verse 4 of Ephesians 6 “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”

And in Colossians 3:21 “Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.” Does anyone have the amplified on them to read Colossians 3:21? I love the way it is put in that version.



Child abuse is prevalent in many forms I have worked with kids for years and at one of these jobs I was startled a bit to see some of the non physical forms of abuse, like extreme ignoring. Never giving praise to a child or affirming them. I think that is what unfortunately is more likely to happen in a christian home than some other forms of abuse. It's not likely on purpose we try to make sure that children don't become proud so we withhold comments of praise. And we don't want to encourage bad behavior by giving attention to that, so what happens? A child ends up feeling starved for attention and acts out. Then we are forced to do something about it, that's the rebellious side of the spectrum. Then you have the other side, the people pleasing children, the ones trying to please their parents. But if a parent is overly strict the child will come to the point of feeling discouraged, so much so that they are crushed and simply give up on trying to please anyone or having any direction in life at all.



That is what it looks like to provoke a child.

There is always a balance, yes lets as children do everything we can to honor our parents. But if your parents never noticed you or are giving you a verbal beating all the time because they are frustrated with something else, may I encourage you, God is your father and He loves you deeply. Do not give up or be discouraged.

Read from psalm 27

Application

Honer your parents. But do not become discouraged when they provoke you, instead be patient and talk things out with them.



How?

I will speak positively about my parents, and I will make it a priority to call them on Sunday to show them love.

No comments:

Post a Comment