Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Fix Your Eyes On Jesus Or You Will Be Shipwrecked.


Luke 21:19

“By your,
endurance
you will
gain
your lives.”



Surrounding this verse Jesus is talking about the last times. He has just finished telling the disciples of all the unrest that will be in the physical world, natural disasters, and in the political world, wars and famine. He says they will be brought before all manner of authorities and it will be an opportunity to bear witness. He told them to settle it in their minds not to prepare a defense when this happens, but that He would give them a mouth and wisdom, and a wisdom that none of their enemies would be able to withstand or contradict. Then Jesus tells them a shockingly painful truth, He tells the disciples their closest friends and family, would betray them, even putting some of them to death. Next He says that His disciples will be hated by all for His name's sake.



It has been said “Faithless is he who turns back when the road darkens.” How many of us would be able to sit there and listen to Jesus? Maybe we'd think you don't really mean that, that won't happen. And if we did believe Him, how many of us would be like, ok Jesus, that's nice but too much for me to handle so see you later. Would I do that? Have I already been that faithless friend? To be honest I would say every time I have resisted the Holy Spirit drawing me towards someone to speak with or comfort them, is a time that I was faithless.

And I must apologize to all of you because I have often shied away from talking with many of you when I felt myself being drawn by God to say something. Even something so small as how are you today?

We have talked a lot about fear this week, and that has been the reason I often hold back from saying things. Fear of bothering a person, fear of being a distraction to what God is doing, fear of failing, fear of God's anger, fear, fear, fear. Yes, I said I have been delivered from a lot of fear, but there are as I also said little fears that still crop up in my life. I must squelch these quickly or else they become bigger. Pastor G has brought up that perfect love cast out fear. As I remember God's love for me I am able to toss out the constant fear of stepping on God's toes. As I look at God's love my fear of failure becomes pail in comparison. When I think of God's love I stop worrying about bothering the person and start wishing to encourage them. So fixing my eyes on Jesus, on His love, on His victory, on Him, is key.

Because when I set my mind on my self, I see only my shortcomings, my lack of love, losses. And that leaves me in a place, a pit that I cannot escape with out some outside force. Which thankfully God has been. This is all important to our theme this week, because fear can dissuade us from persevering.



Lets look back at the text the verse directly proceeding our verse of the day says “But not a hair of your head will perish.” Jesus just got done laying out the persecution they would undergo, and that some of them would be put to death. What on earth does this text mean? It would almost seem a direct contradiction.

There are two conclusions I can draw from this, first is that a man is bulletproof until God takes Him home, second as I view it in context with the verse of today, I would conclude it is speaking to the spiritual man.



“By your endurance” How does one endure? What does it look like? I spoke of perseverance, which is seemingly synonymous with endurance. When I think of enduring, I mostly think of enduring pain. To take hit after hit, to be jarred, beaten, or mocked over and over, isolated, without going mad or giving up. Jesus endured, and the apostles endured, and we must endure. I also think enduring must have a goal, or end. Why would would someone endure repetitive pain, unless there was a reason for it. An athlete endures the pains of training to receive a prize. Now to what end does Jesus say we endure? To gain our lives. I believe this speaks to spiritual lives, and not in whether or not we gain or lose salvation (although this is possible) so much as to the joyful and abundant life we have in Him. As we endure trials and temptations, as we persevere and set our eyes on Jesus, a marvelous change happens in us. And an abundant, and joyful life follows. “so we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.” 2nd Corinthians 4:16-17

Not to mention Further down in our text in verse 28 it says when these things happen “Straighten up and raise your heads” Pay attention, Why “because your redemption is drawing near.”

Your Redemption is drawing near! How wonderful! How beautiful!

When Jesus endured the cross it was for the joy set before Him. When we endure it is for the same reason, the joy set before us is life in Christ, and hope of Eternity in Heaven with Him.



Application

Take eyes off self, and place on Jesus.

How?

Today I will Worship Jesus or pray to Him when I am faltering, I will pick someone specific to keep me accountable.




No comments:

Post a Comment