Sunday, February 14, 2016

Even In The Good Times.


Philippians 4:11

“Not that I am speaking

of being in need, for I have

learned in whatever situation

I am to be content.”

Many times I hear the word content, and I think that's what we need to be when we are making do, but Paul here goes on to say in every circumstance, including abounding or in abundance. It's funny that we become discontent when we have more than what we need. And I think it's easier when we are in times of abundance to be discontent. Take a look at America, we have had so much abundance and yet we are never content. Out of this much evil comes. Look at the workplace, the dog eat dog mentality, the slander of coworkers to get ahead, but back to what I was saying. Many times in the old testement Israel fell into sin during times of abundance, God even warned them to be careful of this, yet it happened. The reason it seems that this happens is when physical needs are met and things are good we don't go to God because we have what we want. How sad. I am guilty of this, when things are tough I make time to go pray and worship. I seek strength in God. However when things are going good I forget sometimes to go spend time with Him. This is also so sad because of how much I am missing by not going to Him! How much rich praise I can give Him for the good. How wonderful the fellowship un-strained by the thought of need. Here is a paradox, to be content in God, is to be discontent with the world, even during times of abundance. Are those times good? Yes, but keep in mind the One providing every breath. Even when life is good, it's not life without Him. And how do we be content in every situation including abundant time? In verse 13 we find our answer, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”



Application.

Remember God in the good times, and be thankful.

How?

Today I will find time to enjoy being in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment