Sunday, February 14, 2016

I want Him


1st Timothy 6:6-8

“Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world and, we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.”



At the beginning of Ignite I always tried to get these IBS things done asap, and sadly would even sometimes do them instead of devotions, God has changed me in that sense. And as I trust Him, He shows me daily what He wants to. I keep laughing when I sit down to do these last minute, because I realize just how exact and spot on something He had showed me that morning in devotions or through a speaker that day fits with the verse we are doing. Like today when Jordan spoke.

This scripture is a sidestep from a warning that Paul was giving Timothy about false teachers. Teachers who are only teaching to get recognition. Teachers who are causing strife constantly, arguing about things that don't matter, slandering, craving controversy even! Can you say Trolls?



That seems to be the heart they teach with, and why? Because they imagine “that godliness is a means of gain.” But then our verse seems to contradict this by saying there is “great gain in godliness.” However the two do not contradict. It is like Paul after saying “imagining that godliness is a means of gain,” that is they imagined that godliness was a means of worldly gain, then expands on the thought and says there is a gain in godliness. But it is not worldly gain that he is speaking of, because someone who is living in godliness has contentment as a by product of their focus. They are not focused on gaining wealth, or recognition from men, they are focused on recognition of God, and heavenly treasure. They are concerned with knowing the Creator who holds all things in His hands, instead of holding all things in their own hands. They are concerned with pleasing God rather then seeking pleasure.

I'll be totally honest I have been these people, when someone leaves a trolling comment online I crave to disagree and try to crush their argument. At home I craved to find a better job. I struggled to leave for Ignite. Some moments I was truly excited I was going here, other moments I was terrified. I knew I would be changed here and again sometimes the thought was awesome sometimes it was scary. Why was it scary? Because I had gotten comfortable, and good at wearing the mask around my non christian friends and siblings. Why was it awesome? Because I was so tired of living half in the world and half in God. I was hard hearted and stubborn when I left home, so why did I keep pushing to come? Because I felt myself slipping away from God, slowly walking away, becoming again the coward I had always been. I came because I wanted to know the passion of knowing God and His love that had first made me want to share the gospel with anyone who would listen.

I came because God has not given up on me. I came because I wanted to walk close with Him, closer than ever before.

God is life. Knowing Him is truly living, knowing Him is only possible because of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Anything else is a distraction, and leads to death.

I came because I want to really live, I want to know the wonder of God again, I want to get lost in Him.

I want Him.



Application.

Seek to know God more.


No comments:

Post a Comment