Sunday, February 14, 2016

Don't Stop Short.


Psalm 17:15

“As for me,

I shall behold

your Face

in righteousness;

When

I awake,

I shall be satisfied

with your likeness.”



Before I dig into this verse I want to look back to verse 14 which says,

“From men by your hand,

O LORD,

from men of the world

whose portion is in this life.

You fill their womb with treasure,

they are satisfied with children,

and they leave their abundance

to their infants.”



Whose portion is in this life.... they are satisfied with children.

They stopped short. There is so much good in this life, in abundant times and in hard. Children are a blessing, and leaving them something when you pass on is wonderful. But is that really all there is?

No as I said they stopped short. They were satisfied with the things of the world and this life. They were satisfied with the things of the physical realm. Am I stopping short? Am I simply happy with food and drink, with treasure and living out the dream of someday being married and having kids? As much as I desire those things, they are empty without God. I can be well fed, but miserable. Surrounded by friends, but feeling more alone than ever. Jesus was in a tight knit group, well fed, then faced ultimate rejection, and went hungry, and in every circumstance His strength came from God. There are multiple accounts of Him spending time alone with His Father. He was satisfied by that time with His Father.

I am well fed but often feel unsatisfied. I am surrounded by people, but often feel lonely. Am I stopping short? God has more for me than food and clothing, He has communion with His Spirit in prayer and worship for me. He has more than to keep my classmates at an arms length, He would have me form healthy and lasting relationships.



Then the Psalmist says he will be satisfied by the LORD's likeness. He will be satisfied with nothing else than to see God's face.

Even so we should not be satisfied until we see His marvelous face.



Application

Don't stop short of what God has for me.



How?

Tomorrow I will get up at six thirty even though it's my day to sleep in and I will seek God's face by having a longer devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment