Sunday, February 28, 2016

Servant Of All.


1st Corinthians 9:19

“For though I am free from all,

I have made myself a servant to all,

that I might win more of them.”



“For though I am free from all”

Paul has no problem with what others may think of him, because he knows only God's opinion matters. I think this is what he means when he says he is free from all. Up to this point he has been speaking about how a pastor or missionary has every right to ask for compensation for the work they are doing. But Paul worked to provide for himself. He knew he had every right to ask compensation for living expenses while he stayed among the Corinthians, but he wished to bring them the gospel free of charge. Here is a valuable lesson, even though he had every right he would not make use of it. Instead he became a servant of all that he might win more.

Application

I am free from what other may think of me, I know where I stand in Christ. But here's the thing I can pervert that by making it an excuse to be rude. Or unintentionally turn people off to the gospel by it. There is a healthy balance. In Paul's case he avoided the appearance of a swindler and false teacher by paying his own expenses instead of asking the Corinthians whom he was preaching to for support.

This opened the door even wider to share the gospel.



How I can I do that? I am here because of gracious support from others. I can be faithful in my studies for one, and seeking to serve and show Christ's love for two. For three I can be avoid unnecessary spending. I have been a bit carefree up to this point as far as that is concerned. Not crazy but I've been a bit overly snacky.


Therefore my practical application for this coming week is that I will not buy any snacks until Saturday the 5th of March. The only exception being if the class or woman’s study goes out together for a meal, that I would otherwise miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment