Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Called To Freedom.


Galatians 5:13

“For you were called to freedom, brothers.

Only do not use your freedom

as an opportunity for the flesh,

but through love serve one another.”

 

In verse 1 of this chapter is an interesting sentence “For freedom Christ has set us free.” And it stood out to me because I have heard it in a song, but now seeing it on a page in the bible I realized I had no idea what it meant. I pondered for a moment or two before understanding. We have all been set free, but we don't necessarily walk in that freedom. We have all been set free from works of flesh, which can also mean legalism. We have been set free to walk in righteousness through faith in love. I have heard it said that “freedom is not being able to do what one wants to do, but being able to do what one aught to do.” About this I would love to say more but I would be repeating my IBS on Romans 16:6.


But through love serve one another, here is the secret, love. In verse 14 it says “For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, 'You shall love you neighbor as yourself.'”



For love does no wrong to a neighbor therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. In 1st Corinthians 13:5 it says, “(love) does not insist on it's own way.” To love is to be in mutual submission, in same verse it says love is “not rude”. Therefore love is culturally sensitive, and adaptable to every situation.



What will happen if we do not love, and if we insist on our own way. “But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed.” verse 15. One thought comes to mind when I read this, a two headed snake devouring itself. Snakes eat other snakes something I remember clearly when I was into learning about animals as a child. Not that I have heard of a two headed snake mistakenly eating itself, still, to me it seems a perfect picture of Christians who constantly bicker and disagree. The image of a snake also displays it well because sometimes when you see people fight like this you wonder if they were ever saved in the first place, or if by deception they have come into the church to simply stir up strife and dissension. To divide what God has brought together. It's a terrible thing to see brother against brother, sister against sister. It's a terrible thing to see a church fall apart, like the ruins that once were a place of worship now broken to pieces, they can still be used. However a huge mark is left on each person. God can restore, but heavens sake if we can avoid Him needing to let us try.


So love is the fulfilling of the law, but how do we even do this. Look at verse 16 “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.”
But God.
Only by His holy Spirit in us may we hope to live in love and harmony with one another.


Application

Walk in the Spirit, and in so doing be humble and gentle in speech, and adapt to new cultural customs.


How?

I have asked for more of God's Spirit today. And I will try to be sure to greet every bible college student and Guatemalan on property today.

No comments:

Post a Comment